YEP Hamilton’s Executive Roundtable on June 20, 2012 was awesome! It was held at the beautiful Best Western Premier C Hotel – Dolce Rooftop Lounge with special guests PJ and Joe Mercanti. Amazing location and view of the city, lively discussion, delicious food and the most gracious and charismatic guest speakers and group of young professionals could ask for! Here are the top ten talking points from the evening.
1) “Get out of the office to think strategically!” PJ says. Between 9-5, everybody’s day is a zoo with far too many distractions. Seek a creative and quiet space to help your executive team find clarity
2) When it comes to managing staff, Joe says the best way to be a great manager is to make your staff feel confident! Be good to them, work alongside them and help them to feel proud about themselves and what they do. Don’t under-estimate your staff but rather, empower them to think outside their assigned “role” and give them the tools to implement great ideas.
3) Dream Job vs. Dream Life: You could have the best job/career in the world, but if you aren’t surrounded by your friends and family and are able to have your loved ones share in your successes; is there really a point? Will it really make you happy in the long run? Family First!
4) Hamilton is a Gem! We are innovators. Hamilton isn’t “almost there”….it is there! We need to believe in ourselves, each other and work together to build further on our success and the successes on the people that built this city. We have a responsibility to take this great city to the next level.
5) When it comes to running a business…there is no job too little. You do what needs to get done. Not only will it allow you to know your business from the ground up and make you the best manager possible; but it will also encourage your staff to work harder for you because they see you in the trenches with them sharing in the workload and the success!
6) Get involved with your community! By opening your doors and your hearts to your greater community, it allows you to create many worthy connections and betters the quality of life for the people in your city. Give a little to get a lot!
7) Look for new revenue opportunities! New revenue streams allows your staff to grow within your company, broadens your customer demographics and enables you to stay current and top of your game in a constantly changing economy.
8. When planning/ hosting an event: Communication is Key! Never move on from an event without conducting a full evaluation. Sit down with you team and decide what works, what doesn’t work and what need to change next time. You can always get better.
9) Get Creative! Look at your resources and skill set and experiment with different ways to make it profitable. (For instance, Carmen’s is available to rent 7 days a week. The team began booking more Friday and Sunday weddings and brought more conferences in mid-week to make all week days profitable.)
10) Enjoy people! Work should be fun.
, Hamilton Chamber of Commerce
, YEP Hamilton
, Young Professionals
, Young Professionals Networking Event